Search This Blog

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Halloween Trick or Treating in a Wheelchair

So every year Halloween is a day when everyone can dress and act a little wacky and get away with it.  This year was the first Halloween at the new house, so you never know what to expect in terms of trick-or-treaters.. etc.  We only got about 10 or so kids.. but then I realized that my pumpkin's light went out so I'm not sure how much of the decreased traffic was associated with that.  Plus, in Ottawa, it was pretty darn cold that night so I can understand why kids wouldn't want to stay outdoors very long.

Anyway - I sent T to school in a rock star costume from High School Musical.. she looked pretty darn cute... she came home with some photos (in her school binder) of the rest of her class.  T's classmates have a variety of physical disabilities so it was cool to see how each parent tackled the challenge of costuming a child in a wheelchair for example.  A particularly neat idea was her classmate Henry's costume where he was a drummer in a rock band.  They had outfitted his wheelchair with faux-drums and dressed him up like a rocker.  It was really cute and a very creative use of the chair as an accessory to the costume.. kuddos.

Anyway - I'm not sure how many people are reading this BUT I have a question to pose.. has anyone given much thought to how to effectively trick-or-treat in a wheelchair?  We did only four houses this year so it wasn't a major problem that the houses were all inaccessible (we just picked T up and carried her) but it got me thinking that a)that isn't going to be a feasible option as she gets older/bigger and b)how in the heck do other families handle this?  I just remember Halloween having such awesome memories for me as a kid and I want my children to experience the same feelings I did... I'm just not sure how I can "adapt" this activity to make it fun for my daughter in years to come as well...

Ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment