Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Disney World with Cerebral Palsy

SO - the day is coming.

We are taking our daughter to DISNEY WORLD!!  I am SO excited - they say it's the happiest place on earth and honestly... theme parks have become sort of my therapy over the years... a place I can go to forget all about any problems or cares in the world... where one can eat funnel cake and ice cream with a blatant disregard for all things healthy.  It's awesome.

So I'm going to wager a guess that going to Disney with children is a challenge at the best of times but going in a wheelchair is even more so.  I've been reading disability boards and forum posts to try to glean the absolute most out of the trip while making it as comfortable for my daughter specifically as possible.

I promise to report back on my finds but here is what I am planning to do:


  • We will take a double stroller to the park instead of the wheelchair so her baby brother will be able to have his own seat (and we only have to manage pushing one thing) 
  • We will go the day ahead to get a Disney GAC (guest assistance card) to help us use alternate entrances for rides and to use the stroller as a wheelchair.  I've read mixed reviews on this and it is up to the guest services person to decide what type of card you get.  You can get a "stroller as a wheelchair" stamp which allows you to take your stroller IN line (rather than leave it behind) or you can get one with double arrows on it which is the alternate exit card.  I believe there are other card types relating to autism, inability to be in a crowd, etc.
  • I'm hoping to get parking close to the park.. I'm not sure how this will work but I know that having to get on a tram to the park will NOT work so here's hoping (fingers crossed)

They have PDFs specific to each park - a nice guide detailing each ride's accessibility features.

Disability Guides for:



2 comments:

  1. Hey, I just wanted to say thanks for your advice about the kidwalk and wheelchairs, etc. A few people recommended the kidwalk, and it does look pretty great. I watched some videos on youtube with it too, and Avery was excited about the idea of being able to have her hands free when she walks. My main questions about it are how transportable is it? Does it fold up so that it's practical to get in the trunk of a car or onto a school bus? Also, I know you said your daughter has an arm affected by her CP, but do you think that it's possible for a child to get into and out of the kidwalk by themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, also, I forgot to say that I agree that a wheelchair would be a wonderfully practical thing for Avery... When her PT first brought it up a year and a half ago I was against the idea, but now I think it would be excellent. I'm just not sure how to get Avery excited about the idea, since when I have brought it up she's adamant that she doesn't want one because she has "great legs for walking". I don't want her to feel bad or anything, you know?

    ReplyDelete