Search This Blog

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Mandatory Automatic Doors for Wheelchair Access

Okay - so I'll do another post on our "accessible" trip to Disney World (VERY pleasant experience) since it deserves a post on its own.. but I would like to vent about something else entirely.. automatic doors.

I live in Ontario Canada where, as of 2005, all businesses must (by law) provide accessible (aka wheelchair) access to their businesses.  All buildings, public and private, who serve the public need to have ramps, wider doors, push button mechanisms to open doors, etc.   (I'm over-simplifying but you get the idea)

http://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/documents/en/mcss/publications/accessibility/AboutAODAWeb20080311EN.pdf

I find having accessible buildings to be a blessing in many ways for many different types of people.  For example, when I have the kids in a stroller, it is awesome to not have to have someone hold open the door for you or try to struggle through by yourself.  Which brings me to the reason for my rant...

THERE ARE NO ACCESSIBLE BUILDINGS IN ORLANDO.

Okay, well that's not entirely true because places like Walgreens/Publix, etc.  have automatic sliding doors but the majority of places I went to on this trip, I had to struggle to get to the buildings, open the doors, try to make sure the wheels didn't hit the door frames.. ARGH.  It was awful.. I'm not sure how anyone in a wheelchair gets around in Orlando?  Do they just avoid going to small stores?  It is assumed that people in wheelchairs travel with an "attendant"?  What gives?  ARGH.

No comments:

Post a Comment